On Top of the Leaderboard, All Over the WorldWeir Leads Titleist to Three-Win Week Across Worldwide Professional Tours
From Arizona to Portugal to South Korea, Titleist golf ball players were winning the world over again this week. With three more victories, Titleist players have accumulated 158 wins across the 2007 worldwide professional tours, more than six times the nearest competitor with 25.
- On the PGA TOUR, Mike Weir closed with a final round 2-under 68 to win the Fry's Electronics Open by one shot. Fresh off his outstanding performance at the Presidents Cup in his native Canada, Weir finished with a 14-under 266 total to earn his eighth career PGA TOUR title. Weir, who relies upon the Pro V1x for his success, becomes the 22nd player to win with a Titleist golf ball on the 2007 PGA Tour.
- The Fry's Electronics Open champion also carries Vokey Design Spin Milled sand and lob wedges and a Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec putter.
- It marks the third consecutive week and the fifth time in the past six PGA TOUR events that a Scotty Cameron putter has been played by the winner. Year-to-date, Scotty Cameron putters are the overwhelming favorite of more players (1,970) and more champions (18) than any other competitor.
- Titleist was the overwhelming golf ball of choice at the Fry's Electronics Open with 99 (75%) players relying upon the Pro V1 or Pro V1x, nine times the nearest competitor with 11. Titleist was also the most played iron (33), wedge (129) and putter (54) and was second in drivers (33) and fairways (35).
- On the PGA EUROPEAN TOUR, Titleist golf ball players secured the first six positions on the Portugal Masters leaderboard, topped by Steve Webster (Pro V1x) who claimed his second career PGA European Tour title. Webster fired a stellar final round of 8-under 64 for a 25-under total of 263, two shots clear of Titleist ambassador Robert Karlsson (Pro V1x golf ball, 905R driver, 906F2 fairway metals, 695MB irons, Vokey Design wedges, Scotty Cameron putter) who posted final round 65.
- Four players shared third place, including Fredrik Andersson Hed (Pro V1x), Peter Hanson (Pro V1x), Lee Westwood (Pro V1x) and Daniel Vancsik (Pro V1x).
- Titleist was the most played golf ball at the Portugal Masters with 79 players (63%) relying on the Pro V1 or Pro V1x, more than three times the nearest competitor with 23. The win was the 29th for Titleist golf ball players on the 2007 PGA European Tour, nearly six times the nearest competitor with 5.
- On the LPGA TOUR, Pro V1 golf ball loyalist Suzann Pettersen, won the Hana Bank KOLON Championship in South Korea on Sunday after high wind and unplayable conditions on the stressed putting surfaces forced tournament officials to call off the final round. Pettersen opened with a 3-under 69 on Friday and shot an even-par 72 on Saturday in cold and windy conditions to take the lead at 3-under. It was her fourth win of the season.
- Seon Hwa Lee (Pro V1) and Jeong Jang (Pro V1) tied for third at 1-under, and Hyun-Hee Moon (Pro V1x) placed solo fifth at even par, as 4 of the top 5 finishers relied upon Titleist golf balls for their success.
- Pettersen has enjoyed a breakthrough season, highlighted by her first major title in the McDonald's LPGA Championship in June. She also won the Michelob Ultra Open in May for her first LPGA Tour victory, captured the Ladies European Tour's SAS Masters in August in Norway, and captured the Longs Drug Challenge two weeks ago in a playoff.
- Titleist was the golf ball of choice with 56 (81%) of the 69 players at the event, compared to 8 for the nearest competitor. The win was the 15th for Titleist players on the 2007 LPGA Tour.
- The winner also relied upon a Spin Milled sand wedge and Vokey Design lob wedge for her success.
DIRECT FROM THE TOUR: To view exclusive round-by-round interviews with Titleist players from the Fry's Electronics Open, including winner Mike Weir, and from every PGA TOUR event, please visit our Direct from the Tour feature online at: http://titleist.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
TITLEIST TOUR BLOG: Find out what's going on inside the ropes at every PGA TOUR event, or if you would like to pose questions to the Titleist Tour Leadership staff, please visit the Titleist Tour Blog at: http://www.titleisttourblog.com/
TITLEIST GOLF CLUB LEADERBOARD: To learn about Titleist's golf club success on the PGA Tour, the PGA Professional National Championship and at major amateur events, visit the Titleist Golf Club leaderboard at: http://titleist.com/leaderboard/default.asp
Top of Page