Another Super Sunday for J.B. Holmes, TitleistCaptures Second FBR Open in Three Years in Playoff
Fairhaven, MA (February 4, 2008) - Fantastic finishes were in the air in Arizona on Sunday. J.B. Holmes captured his second FBR Open in three years, this time in thrilling sudden death fashion. Trusting his Pro V1x golf ball, Holmes birdied the 18th hole twice in a matter of minutes, first to force the playoff, then converting an 8-foot putt for the win. Both players finished regulation at 14-under 270, followed by fellow Pro V1x player Charles Warren, who was one shot back. In fact, Holmes topped a leaderboard that included nine Titleist golf ball loyalists among the top 10 and ties. Proof, once again, that when the pressure is on, more players rely on the superior performance and consistency of Titleist than all other golf balls combined. Whether on Super Sunday or any other day.
TITLEIST HIGHLIGHTS FOR WEEK ENDING FEBRUARY 3, 2008
PGA TOUR: Titleist was the most played golf ball at the FBR Open with 85 players, more than four times the nearest competitor with 19. In addition to being the most played golf ball, Titleist was also the choice of more players in the wedge (113) and putter (40) categories, and second in drivers (25) and iron sets (22).
- Titleist ambassadors Ben Crane (T4) and Bill Haas (T9) each posted Top 10 finishes at the FBR Open playing the new AP2 irons. Adam Scott won with the new irons on the PGA European Tour last week. The new irons will be available in late March.
- Titleist ambassador Nick Watney led the field in driving distance with an average of 319 yards playing the Titleist 905R driver.
PGA EUROPEAN TOUR: Titleist ambassador Martin Kaymer , who claimed his first victory two weeks ago at the Abu Dhabi Championship, was runner-up by one shot at the Dubai Desert Classic after posting a birdie-birdie-eagle to close with a 6-under 66.
- Kaymer’s equipment includes the Pro V1 golf ball, PT 904F fairway metal, 585.H utility metal, ZM Forged irons, and Vokey Design pitching, sand and lob wedges. He was the first player to win with the new ZM Forged irons in his victory at Abu Dhabi.
- Titleist was the most played golf ball at the event with 69 players relying on the Pro V1 or Pro V1x, more than three times the nearest competitor with 19.
NATIONWIDE TOUR: Titleist ambassador Jarrod Lyle earned his first career Nationwide Tour victory with a 5-stroke win over fellow Pro V1x player Matthew Every at the Mexico Open. Lyle, who fired a final round 8-under 63 to finish at 17-under 267, was the only player to shoot four consecutive rounds in the 60's (68-69-67-63). Last week, Lyle finished T6 at the season-opening Panama Movistar Championship.
- Lyle’s equipment includes the Pro V1x golf ball, 907D2 driver, 906F4 fairway metal, 670 irons, Vokey Design pitching, sand and Spin Milled lob wedges and a Scotty Cameron by Titleist prototype putter.
- Titleist was the most played golf ball at the Mexico Open with 95 players, nearly six times the closest competitor with 16. Titleist was also the most played iron (41), wedge (122) and putter (51).
AUSTRALASIA: Titleist players swept the top four positions at the Victorian PGA Championship, the season-opening Von Nida event for 2008. Titleist full-line staff player Marc Leishman (Pro V1x, 905R driver, 906F2 fairway metal, 695MB irons, Vokey Design sand and lob wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 putter) fired a final round 7-under 65 in the come-from-behind win to finish at 19-under, one shot clear of Cam Percy (Pro V1) and Kurt Barnes (Pro V1x).
- Over 80 percent of the field, 125 of 156 players, relied upon Titleist as their ball of choice, including 7 of the 11 who finished among the top 10 and ties.
WORLDWIDE GOLF BALL WINS: With three more golf ball wins across the worldwide professional tours this week, Titleist's 2008 victory total advanced to 13, more than three times the nearest competitor with 4.
DIRECT FROM THE TOUR: To view exclusive round-by-round interviews with Titleist players throughout every PGA TOUR event, including J.B. Holmes, the winner of the FBR Open, please visit our Direct from the Tour feature online at: http://titleist.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
TITLEIST TOUR BLOG: Find out what's going on inside the ropes at every PGA TOUR event and on tours across the world, and ask questions of our Titleist Tour Leadership staff by visiting the Titleist Tour Blog at: http://www.titleisttourblog.com/
TITLEIST GOLF CLUB LEADERBOARD: To learn about Titleist's golf club success on the PGA Tour, the PGA Professional National Championship and at major amateur events throughout the year, visit the Titleist Golf Club leaderboard at: http://titleist.com/leaderboard/default.asp
Contact: Joe Gomes, Director of Communications, Acushnet Company (508.979.3211)
Top of Page