HARRINGTON MAKES HIS MARK ON ANOTHER MAJOR.WINS SECOND STRAIGHT BRITISH OPEN WITH TITLEIST.
Fairhaven, MA (July 21, 2008) - Securing his status as one of golf's great champions, Padraig Harrington successfully defended his Open Championship title with sterling play under challenging conditions at Royal Birkdale. In memorable closing fashion, Harrington became the first European in more than a century to win golf's oldest major championship in consecutive years. Both Harrington and runner-up Ian Poulter relied upon the Pro V1x golf ball for their success. In fact, the overwhelming majority of players trusted Titleist, the #1 ball at The Open Championship since records have been kept.
- On a day when only four other players shot sub-par rounds, Padraig Harrington fired a 1-under 69 in the final round of The Open Championship for a 3-over 283 total and a four-shot win over Ian Poulter.
- Nine players tied for seventh place, including Titleist brand ambassadors Ben Curtis, Steve Stricker and Robert Karlsson. See what’s in their bags below:
- Ben Curtis: Pro V1x, 907D2 driver, 906F2 fairway metal, 585.H utility metal, AP2 irons, Vokey Design wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter.
- Steve Stricker: Pro V1, 905T driver, 906F2 fairway metal, 585.H utility metal, 755 irons, Vokey Design wedges.
- Robert Karlsson: Pro V1x, 905R driver, 906F2 fairway metal, ZM irons, Vokey Design wedges, Scotty Cameron putter.
- Titleist was the most played golf ball at The Open Championship with 95 players, compared to 24 for the nearest competitor.
- Titleist was also the top choice in the iron (35), wedge (131) and putter (49) categories, and second in drivers (30), four of which were new 909 models.
DIRECT FROM THE TOUR: To view exclusive round-by-round interviews with Titleist players from every PGA TOUR event, including British Open champion Padraig Harrington, please visit our Direct from the Tour feature online at: http://www.titleist.com/.
TITLEIST TOUR BLOG: Find out what's going on inside the ropes at every PGA TOUR event and on tours across the world, and ask questions of our Titleist Tour Leadership staff by visiting the Titleist Tour Blog at: http://www.titleisttourblog.com
TITLEIST GOLF CLUB LEADERBOARD: To learn about Titleist's golf club success on the PGA Tour, the PGA Professional National Championship and at major amateur events throughout the year, visit the Titleist Golf Club leaderboard at: http://www.titleist.com/leaderboard/default.asp
Contact: Joe Gomes, Director of Communications (508.979.3211)
Top of Page