Excellence Loves CompanyLuke Donald Tops Honda Classic Leaderboard that Features 14 Titleist Players Among the Top 15 Finishers
Fairhaven, MA (March 13, 2006) - As in so many tournaments before, more world-class players trusted Titleist golf balls than any other for their success on the PGA Tour and across the worldwide professional tours again this week.
Luke Donald fired a final round 3-under 69 to finish at 12-under 276, edging fellow Pro V1x loyalist Geoff Ogilvy by two shots to capture the Honda Classic. It was the second career PGA TOUR title for Donald, whose first win came at the 2002 Southern Farm Bureau Classic.
Donald topped a leaderboard that included Titleist golf ball players among each of the top six finishers and 14 of the top 15.
- Titleist full-line staff player Billy Mayfair (Pro V1x, Pro Titanium 905R driver, Pro Trajectory 904F 3- and 5-woods, Forged 804 OS irons, Vokey Design sand wedge and Spin Milled lob wedge) and David Toms (Pro V1) tied for third, three shots back.
- Two other Titleist ambassadors, Tom Pernice, Jr. (Pro V1x, Titleist Pro Titanium 905S driver, Forged prototype irons, Vokey Design Spin Milled sand and lob wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura putter) and 2000 Honda Classic champion Dudley Hart (Pro V1x, Pro Titanium 905R driver, prototype fairway metal, utility wood and utility iron, Forged 695MB irons, Vokey Design Spin Milled sand and lob wedges, Scotty Cameron Newport putter), finished fifth and sixth, respectively.
- Titleist was the golf ball choice of 104 players in the field, eight times the nearest competitor with 12. In addition, Titleist was the field favorite in the iron (32 vs. 30), wedge (147 vs. 87) and putter (58 vs. 21) categories.
- Titleist was second in the driver count and third in fairways with 38 in each category.
- Donald's win is the sixth by a Titleist golf player this season, three times the nearest competitor.
- For the seventh consecutive week, the PGA TOUR winner relied upon a Scotty Cameron putter.
PGA EUROPEAN TOUR: Mardan Mamat (Pro V1x) became the first Singaporean player to win a PGA European Tour title after shooting a final round 1-under par 71 to win the Singapore Masters by a stroke. Mamat, who led the event from start to finish, posted at 12-under 276 total. The tournament was co-sanctioned by the PGA European and Asian Tours.
- Titleist golf ball players accounted for over 80 percent of the field with 125, compared to 16 for the nearest competitor.
- Mamat's victory was the 8th for Titleist players on the PGA European Tour, four times the nearest competitor with 2.
CHAMPIONS TOUR: Tom Kite (Pro V1) shot a final round 2-under 70 en route to a five-stroke victory over Gil Morgan (Pro V1x) at the AT&T Classic. Kite closed the tournament at 12-under-par 204. The win was Kite's first since the 2004 3M Championship, and the eighth of his Champions Tour career. His five-shot winning margin was the largest in event history.
- All of the players in the top 10, and 60 of the 78 players in the field, relied on Titleist golf balls. That is more than seven times the nearest competitor with 8.
- Following Kite and Morgan on the leaderboard were Tom Jenkins (3rd/Pro V1), Morris Hatalsky (T4/Pro V1), Peter Jacobsen (T4/Pro V1x), Wayne Levi (6th/Pro V1), Andy Bean (T7/Pro V1x), Jerry Pate (T7/Pro V1x), Tom Purtzer (T7/Pro V1x) and Loren Roberts (T7/Pro V1).
CANADIAN TOUR: Brian Guetz tapped in a two-foot birdie putt on the first extra hole to defeat John Mallinger in an all-Pro V1x playoff for his first Canadian Tour title at the Yes! Golf Barton Creek Challenge. Both players finished regulation at 9-under 279.
WORLDWIDE WINS: With four more victories this week, the Titleist year-to-date win count reached 30, six times the nearest competitor with 5. Year-to-date, across the worldwide professional tours, the Titleist golf ball count of 4,068 players is more than 10 times the nearest competitor with 386.
DIRECT FROM THE TOUR: To view exclusive round-by-round interviews with Honda Classic winner Luke Donald, as well as other top Titleist players from every PGA Tour event, please visit our Direct from the Tour feature online at: http://titleist.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
RSS FEED: Sign up now for our News site and RSS Feeds that deliver Titleist information daily and directly to the desktop of subscribers. For more information and to subscribe to the titleist.com RSS Feeds, please visit: http://titleist.com/news/news_overview.asp.
Titleist, FootJoy and Cobra comprise the major golf brands of the Acushnet Company, an operating company of Fortune Brands, Inc. (NYSE - FO). Titleist, FootJoy, Cobra, Pro V1, Pro V1x, Pro Titanium 905, Pro Trajectory 904F, Forged 695MB, Forged 804 OS, Vokey Design, Scotty Cameron by Titleist, Futura and Newport are trademarks owned by Acushnet Company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Top of Page