This past week and leading into the weekend, the action at the Solheim Cup had the hallmarks of a New Years Eve celebration - a global audience anxiously awaiting for the ball to drop (albeit a golf ball), some spectacular fireworks in the form of clutch putts and unbelievable shots, and a few bottles of celebratory champagne for Team Europe.
In their quest to retain the Solheim Cup, Team Europe made event history by capturing their first victory on American soil and Titleist golf ball loyalist Caroline Hedwall (Pro V1) achieved another Solheim first by compiling a 5-0-0 record in competition.
Among the 24 players in competition, 16 relied on a Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball for their success, more than five times the nearest competitor with three and more than all other competitors combined. And of the 12 victorious players in blue and gold, 9 relied on a Titleist golf ball.
Rounding out the action from this past weekend on the worldwide professional tours, Titleist Brand Ambassador Peter Malnati (Web.com Tour) along with Pro V1x loyalist Bart Bryant (Champions Tour) and Pro V1x loyalist HyungTae Kim (Korean PGA Tour) found the winners circle.
Titleist golf ball players have now won 93 time on the worldwide professional tours in 2013.
Check out the Team Titleist recap below for some quick highlights from this past weekend’s wins.
• • •
WEB.COM: News Sentinel Open
- Of the 156-player field, 110 players relied upon Titleist golf balls, more than six times the nearest competitor with 18.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Peter Malnati won the News Sentinel Open for his first career Web.com Tour title, birdieing five of the last seven holes for a one-stroke victory.
- Malnati closed with a 5-under 65 for a 16-under 268 victory total.
- What’s in Peter Malnati’s Bag?: Titleist Pro V1x, 913D3 driver (8.5°), 910Fd fairway metal (13.5°), 913H hybrid (19.0°), 712U 4-iron, AP2 prototype irons (5-P), Vokey Design SM4 gap (52°), sand (56°) and lob (60°) wedges, Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 1.5.
- Malnati becomes the first player on the Web.com Tour and third player overall to win with the new AP2 prototype irons (714 series), following the winner of the John Deere Classic and Titleist Brand Ambassador Jason Dufner's victory at the PGA Championship.
• • •
CHAMPIONS: Dick’s Sporting Goods Open
- Among the 80-player field, 60 players trusted a Titleist golf ball, ten times the nearest competitor with 6.
- Bart Bryant topped fellow Titleist golf ball loyalists Corey Pavin (Pro V1) and Russ Cochran (Pro V1) by one shot for the victory.
- Bryant's four-stroke lead over Pavin after two rounds was the largest 36-hole margin in the tournament's brief history.
• • •
KOREA: KPGA Championship
- Out of the 144-player field, 101 players put their trust in a Titleist golf ball, more than five times the nearest competitor with 19.
- The victory marked the fourth career KPGA Tour title for Pro V1x loyalist Hyung Tae Kim, who closed with a 3-under par 69 en route to a 17-under 271 victory total.
- Kim converted a four-foot putt for birdie on the first playoff hole, the par-5 18th, for the win.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador SangHyun Park finished solo 3rd, one shot out of the playoff.
• • •
PGA TOUR: Wyndham Championship
- Of the 156-player field, 100 players relied upon Titleist golf balls, more than four times the nearest competitor with 23.
- Titleist golf ball loyalist Jordan Spieth (Pro V1x) was seeking his second career victory in less than two months, and finished second.
- Titleist golf ball loyalist John Huh (Pro V1) was among two players that finished two strokes behind the leaders.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Matt Jones (Pro V1x) matched the tournament record for a final round with a 62 and was among three players that finished at 11-under, including fellow Titleist Brand Ambassador Zach Johnson (Pro V1x).