The last major of the year is in the books and PGA Tour players are now setting their sights on the FedExCup Playoffs. This week, Sedgefield Country Club hosts 156 players for the Wyndham Championship, which plays a pivotal role in shaping the fields for the Playoffs as the last opportunity for players to inch their way into the top 125 of the FedExCup Standings.
Pro V1 loyalist Davis Love III is no stranger to the PGA TOUR's sixth-oldest tournament and its place in the Playoffs, having won the 2015 event and moving up more than 100 spots in the FedExCup Standings upon his victory. Other past champions in the field include Titleist Brand Ambassador Webb Simpson (2011) and Pro V1x loyalists Arjun Atwal (2010), Ryan Moore (2009) and Carl Pettersson (2008).
Also headlining the field this week are Pro V1 loyalists Kevin Kisner and Henrik Stenson. After his T7 finish at the PGA Championship, Kisner has tallied seven top-10's in 23 starts this season, including his second career PGA TOUR victory at the 2017 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational. Stenson is making his first appearance at the Wyndham Championship since 2012 in hopes of moving his way up the FedExCup Standings heading into the Playoffs that will begin at The Northern Trust next week.
Good luck to all of #TeamTitleist!
• • •
TITLEIST BY THE NUMBERS
Titleist is once again the overwhelming golf ball choice at the Wyndham Championship, with 113 players trusting a Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball, more than six times the nearest competitor with 18 and more than all competitors combined.
Titleist was also the top choice among players in the hybrids category (29) as well as the irons category with 48 sets in play. Vokey Design Wedges also topped the approach, sand and lob wedge (212) category and Scotty Cameron putters were the top choice among players with 64 putters in play.
• • •
- The Wyndham Championship was founded in 1938 as the Greater Greensboro Open and in its early years, the tournament alternated between two Greensboro, N.C. courses: Starmount Forest Country Club and the current home course at Sedgefield Country Club. The Wyndham Championship is the only regular season PGA TOUR event contested on a course originally designed by Donald Ross.
- 17 former winners are members of the World Golf Hall of Fame.
- In the 10-year history of the FedExCup, no player has made the TOUR Championship starting the Wyndham Championship outside the Playoffs cut line.
PLAYERS TO WATCH THIS WEEK:
- Kevin Kisner (Pro V1): Kisner will make his fifth start in the Wyndham Championship following top-10s in his last two starts: T8 in 2014/T8 and T10 in 2016.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Bill Haas: Haas will make his 13th start in the Wyndham Championship, having finished in the top six in two of the last three years.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Webb Simpson: Simpson will make his ninth start in the Wyndham Championship, where he owns four top-10 finishes.
We can always count on Titleist Brand Ambassador Zac Blair to give us a tour of the course, including this week's test at Sedgefield Country Club.
Although he is not in the field this week, the PGA Tour went into the vault for this moment from the 2009 Wyndham Championship, when a 16-year-old Justin Thomas fired a first-round 65.
Vokey Design Wedges Tour Rep Aaron Dill shares his latest creation for Titleist Brand Ambassador Blayne Barber.
Catch a glimpse of Webb's early run at Sedgefield.