buy now or wait?

Thinking about getting some new irons but I'm wondering if I should buy now or wait till this fall/winter to see the new lineup of irons that should be coming out? Thoughts? Even if I end up getting the 712 instead of the (i'm assuming) 714 irons, would it not be worth it to wait till the new ones come out so the prices on the 712s drop?

i would wait. i'm waiting. i know it's still 7 months away but i don't want to buy 712 right now and salivate on the 714s when it comes out.  

it'll be a different story if it was other companies who come up with new stuff like every 3 months.  because with other companies, even if you buy something right when they come out, you know there's going to be a new one in few months so no point of waiting.

But once you buy titleist, you know you have the latest for at least 2 years. 

you won't see a price drop like other manufacturers unless you're buying the used set.

since it's a big investment, i want to do it the best way. get fitted at their oceanside facility in november and then buy the 714s.

jasonkjlee; If it were Aug. or Sept I'd say wait, but since the golfing season is just starting, you could be enjoying the 712's all summer. Also, the price of the 712's may come down some, but it probably won't be that much, and it would be worth the price difference to be able to use the 712's all summer, and who's to say that the 714's will be any better than the 712's. I've got the 712AP1's and I don't see how the 714's could be any better, but that's just my opinion, and my opinion is free, so take it for what it's worth.

I am in the same boat.  I bought  a set of AP2 710's in the spring of 2011 and when the 712's were released later that year, I wish I would have waited.  I am going to wait for the 714's.

If my memory serves me correct, the prices will drop on the 712's, but it won't be much ($100) and there will be very limited stock.

 

 

Like said above.  It's all in your confidence with the current set.  I may replace my AP2 710's when the 714's come out.  It will all depend on what they have changed.  It's hard to beat my current set up.

My next set will be a combo AP2/MB.  

TT

jasonkjlee

Thinking about getting some new irons but I'm wondering if I should buy now or wait till this fall/winter to see the new lineup of irons that should be coming out? Thoughts? Even if I end up getting the 712 instead of the (i'm assuming) 714 irons, would it not be worth it to wait till the new ones come out so the prices on the 712s drop?

 

I am in the same boat as you.  My choice is to wait.  One more season using the great Titleist irons I already have is not a big deal.  If you buy now, I promise when those mad mothers come out next year, you will be upset! 

I bought the AP1 710s and have LOVED them over the past 2+ years.  I never regretted when the 712s came out because the 710s were already far superior to my old set.  I'm going to be near a Titleist fitting center this July and will get a fitting that includes trying different shafts in the 712 irons and the 913 woods.  That's really the only reason I'm even going to upgrade to the 712s.  I might switch from the AP1 to the AP2 but we'll see what happens at the fitting.   My opinion...Just get them now and enjoy a full season with your new sticks! I doubt you'll ever regret the decision.

I totally agree with bigear, I was in the same situation last year when I was deciding which fairway woods, and driver to get.  I was about to purchase the 910 series, but I ended up waiting around for the 913 and couldn't be happier.  Titleist is a great company who does extensive R & D on their products, so you know the products they release every 2 years will have some type of improvement in them.  You would also have the newest gear of titleist too, unlike other companies who always come out with new stuff every couple of months. 

jasonkjlee

Thinking about getting some new irons but I'm wondering if I should buy now or wait till this fall/winter to see the new lineup of irons that should be coming out? Thoughts? Even if I end up getting the 712 instead of the (i'm assuming) 714 irons, would it not be worth it to wait till the new ones come out so the prices on the 712s drop?

 
Do you need a new set now, or just want a new set?  If you only want them, wait.
 
The "problem" with Titleist irons is there are very few sets in the marketplace.  So when the 914s come out, the stores don't have boxes upon boxes of off the rack 912 sets to sell.  Once the release date is official for the 914s, there is no guarentee you can order a set with a shaft fitted for you of the 912s.  The $100 off is limited pretty much to stock on hand.
 
If I'm putting $800 for a set in November that is already out of date, I'm going for the $900 set with my shaft, length, and loft.  It's not like finding a second generation out of date annual release club for $399, discounted $350 from the original.  I'd seriously look at a set of 912s next March on eBay if I wanted to save money, when they would be 599/699 and almost new.  Just be careful that the seller backs the authenticity.
 
 

I'm in the same boat.  For the time being, I am holding off on getting the 712s until Titleist previews the 713/714 irons in Aug/Sept.  I don't expect too many changes from the 712 models to the 713/714 irons.  If anything the MOI might be slightly higher in most of the long iron models and the sole width slightly narrower in the short irons.  Personally, I prefer the satin finish of the 712 CB/MB so if Titleist reverts back to the chrome finish like in the 710 models, I may go with the 712s.  

The local Titleist retailer near me is having a demo day this weekend.  I've previously hit the 712 AP2s and CBs, loved them but couldn't commit.  Can't wait to hit them again but more than likely I will go with the newer 713/714 models. 

I just pulled the trigger on a new set of the 712 CB/MB combos.  I already owned the AP2 712's but decided to go a new route because i'm a club ho.  I figure i can game these for a few months and if i really like the new line up, then i can sell these for probably 65% of what i paid for them.

There is nothing like have a new set of irons in your golf bag!  I've replaced every club in my bag this year.

........Yes i know i have a problem!

I decided to "buy now" last week when I ordered a combo set of CB/MB irons.  I like them enough that I will be fine playing them for a few years...maybe update when 716 comes out. 

Also, I can see AP1/AP2 changing quite a bit, but not the CB/MB offerings.  They will be different, to be sure, but probably not so different that the 712 set will seem like junk. 

Whatever you decide, enjoy the process of getting new irons!  Probably the best feeling in the entire golf purchasing experience.

Tough call - There will always be newer and better products comming out every few months. You can wait but, by the time the new ones are out there will be a newer one in the making :-/

Thanks for the advice. I'm still torn! My motivation isn't as much the price drop as it is missing out on clubs. I'd hate to get the 712s and realize I like the 714s significantly better. On the other hand, it isn't as though they'll be released to the public in the next couple of months. I recently sold my old iron set (miz) so I am currently iron-less. However, I could borrow my dad's old set (also miz) until this fall/winter so I don't NEED to get new clubs immediately. I'm pretty set on making the jump into Titleist, I guess I just have to figure out when to do it.

Jason; I have the same problem as you. I think I buy more clubs than anyone for 3 counties around. I play with a group of about 12 guys that I used to work with, and when I get new clubs, I sell my old ones to the other guys, and they say I sell more clubs than the golf stories here in town. I've had every brand and style that you could imagin, but now that I have all Titleist's in my bag, (except for two CG fairways) I think Titleist has broken my habit. If I do have any weak moments, it will be Titleist.