Hybrid shafts

I'm looking to pick up an 18* 913 H.d and I'm wavering on which shaft to get. I actually got fit for them two different times and got different results each time. Both fittings were at the same Titleist Advanced Fitting Center but with different fitters. The first fitter said I should use the Aldila RIP Phenom 80HYB (stiff, -1/2") and the second fitter said I should use the Diamana D+ White 92HY (stiff, -1/2").

Anyone play either of those shafts on an 18* 913 H.d? Or better yet both? Got any pros/cons and/or characteristics of each shaft that you can share? If any certified fitters could weigh in that would be great.

FYI, I don't know my spin or ball speed numbers but my common miss would be a thin, outside-in shot and I am a sweeper, not a digger.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the post. 

It is not uncommon to have two different shaft recommendations when you get fit twice. When I conducted fittings at our Manchester Lane facility I always liked to say "95% of these shafts won't work for you, but the other 5% could".  The key thing I notice is the consistency in the flex and the length. This is very important. 

The RIP Phenom is lighter and offers a slightly higher ball flight than the D+ 92. I would analyze your game. Do you want a more boring trajectory with your hybrid or something that gets a little more height for approach shots into the green? Do you typically like a heavier or lighter shaft in your hybrids? Think about these questions and that will guide you in the right direction.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Talk soon, 

Bubba

I have the 913 HD 18* with the RIP Phenom.  If I had it to do over I would go a bit heavier.  It's an awesome club but when I get a bit quick it can get left in a hurry.  Love the flight.

Would like to explore some other options for what is an outstanding head.

TT

Thanks for the info. With the 18* H.d I was planning on lofting it down to a 17.25* and am looking for something I can pull out on my second shot on par 5s and possibly even teeing off with on days my driver isn't working so well. I'm not going to be green seeking so much with it. Does that mean the D+ might be the way to go?

Jason L.

Thanks for the info. With the 18* H.d I was planning on lofting it down to a 17.25* and am looking for something I can pull out on my second shot on par 5s and possibly even teeing off with on days my driver isn't working so well. I'm not going to be green seeking so much with it. Does that mean the D+ might be the way to go?

If you are looking for a more penetrating flight with less spin, I would say the D+ is likely your best bet. If you can get in touch with both of your fitters and possibly get the launch conditions of the two shafts, that will help in your decision making as well.

Take care, 

Bubba