For the first time in its 14-year history, this week’s Wells Fargo Championship will not be played at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, N.C. Because Quail Hollow will be hosting the PGA Championship this August, the Wells Fargo Championship will make a one-year stop at Eagle Point Golf Club in Wilmington, N.C.
Eagle Point ranked among the top 100 golf courses in the U.S.by Golf Digest in 2017 and fourth-best in the state of North Carolina.
Titleist golf ball loyalist Carl Petterson (Pro V1x) is a member at Eagle Point, as is Titleist Brand Ambassador Webb Simpson (Pro V1x), who provided a little insight on his home course.
“It honestly has a touch of Augusta National to it,” Simpson said. “It’s as green as Augusta, the sand is white. It’s hillier than you would think for a course down there on the flat coast. No. 17 is probably the most beautiful hole there from the tee box. There’s a beautiful creek running up the left side. The tee is really elevated. You go down a little bit to the fairway, there’s some fairway bunkers and then the green is elevated. You really see the elevation changes there. I think if I had never played it and I showed up as a TOUR player, I still would be blown away.”
As players look to take on the Par-72, 7,396 Tom Fazio layout at Eagle Point Golf Club, Titleist is the overwhelming golf ball of choice with 111 players teeing up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball. That’s more than seven times the nearest competitor with 16 and more than all competitors combined.
Titleist is also the top choice of players in the hybrids (27) and irons (49) categories. Vokey Design Wedges topped the approach, sand and lob wedge (213) category. Scotty Cameron putters were the top choice in the putter (64) category.
- Titleist golf ball loyalist Carl Petterson (Pro V1x) holds the course record of 62 at Eagle Point.
- Titleist golf ball loyalist James Hahn (Pro V1x) is this week's defending champion. Hahn closed with a 2-under-par 70 in the final round of the 2016 Wells Fargo Championship to force a sudden death playoff and then went on to capture the title with a par on the first extra hole.
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Adam Scott (Pro V1) is making his eighth start of the season, and is coming off a T9 at the Masters, his second top-10 of the season (CIMB Classic –T10). Hitting greens will be a key to success at Eagle Point and Scott is hitting on average 13 (69.44%) greens per round on TOUR this season (T-36).
- This week's tournament may feel like a home game for Titleist Brand Ambassador Bill Haas (Pro V1x). The Wake Forest alum has played in 162 PGA TOUR events and has made 135 cuts. Of those 162 events played he has finished inside the top 25 50.6% of the time. His total of 82 top 25’s is the 2nd most on TOUR during this time frame.
- Another solid ball-striker to watch this weekend is Titleist golf ball loyalist Paul Casey (Pro V1). Casey is one of three players ranked inside the top-25 in both Strokes Gained: Approach-the-Green and Around-the-Green. The Englishman has the most Top-3 finishes without a win (7) since the 2014-15 PGA TOUR Season.
As Titleist Brand Ambassador Bill Haas shared, conditions are ideal this week at Eagle Point GC.
A sentiment echoed by Titleist Brand Ambassador Zac Blair.
Titleist Brand Ambassador Adam Scott makes it unanimous.
Titleist Brand Ambassador Robert Streb shared an inside-the-ropes view of the growing crowds in Wilmington.
A classy shot in Round 2 from defending champion, Titleist golf ball loyalist James Hahn.
Some unique tee markers this week for the Wells Fargo Championship. What are your favorites on Tour?
Meanwhile on the West Coast, Titleist Brand Ambassador Charley Hoffman received a VIP welcome from his hometown San Diego Padres.
Good luck to all of #TeamTitleist this weekend!