August 22, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Price is no object as long as the course provides a fun and tough layout...there has been a lot of expansion of courses there over the years and wanted to play next week! Thanks for your input..
Rob_Roth1San Diego, CA
Kevin BLos Angeles, CA
Todd TSan Diego, CA
Gary GALBUQUERQUE, NM
ScottyC50Painesville, Ohio, USA
August 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM
My best friend lives in Glendale, so I go there every year...
Let me give you a few I have personally played....in no order...
1. Troon North....great track, beautiful homes along it. Elevation changes. Go early or stay late, and eat breakfast or lunch on the veranda overlooking the course.
2. Grayhawk....either course, but I like the Talon. Also, great proshop, and catch lunch at Phil's grill, where he is a member and a lot of his memorabilia is there.
3. Whisper Rock...has many tour players as members, if you can get on.
4. ASU Karsten course. Home of the ASU golf teams, and collegiate home of Phil Mickelson. A Pete Dye course, neat clubhouse and undulating greens. I played it the day before a college tournament(I didn't know), and the rough seemed akin to the US Open.
5. Estrella Golf Course....also a Troon Golf Property. In the mountains just south of the city. Dramatic elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Loved that course.
Now, 2 out of the box picks...
ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY...
The Short Course at Mountain Shadows. Yes, it is a par 3 course, but has 2 par 4's, and is difficult. Country club feel, as they have have box of free tees and divot tools at the starter area. Also has a 17.5 hole that is only a putting green that is used for settling bets. The second nine winds through some houses and is fun and challenging. They recently redid the whole property and added a boutique hotel. Lots of fun, a different challenge, and harder than you think.
2. Top Golf...another fun event. On the 101 in Scottsdale. Google it and watch the video. One thing, if you bring your own clubs, leave your woods in the car or they will check them(like a coat check). The range is only so long, so you have to use their woods. I did, and I flew to the end of the range. A really fun thing to do. Best in the dark when you can it all light up.
2 fun eats...
1. In and Out Burger ...I wish they had these out east...they are everywhere there...
2. Ted's Hot Dogs in Tempe. It is where the owner of Ted's retired to. The Ted's are in Buffalo and are charcoal fired dogs they make right in front of you. You can get chicken or hamburgers, but get the dogs. Onion rings are a must as well.
Can you tell I love that place...my favorite vacation spot. I love when I can see the Indians play in the spring.
Haven't registered for Team Titleist yet?