Playing the New Titleist Pro V1, Brian Gay captured the Bermuda Championship with a birdie on the first hole of a sudden death playoff against Wyndham Clark (Pro V1x).
- Gay closed with a 7-under 64, which also included a birdie on the 72nd hole, to earn a position in the playoff at 15-under 269.
- With the victory, Gay becomes the first PGA TOUR player to win with the New Pro V1.
- He was among the players who transitioned into the New Pro V1 or Pro V1x the first week they were available at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open three weeks ago. He had not played since then.
- The Bermuda Championship marks the fifth victory of Gay’s PGA TOUR career.
- Fast Fact: In 2013, Gay won the Humana Challenge (now American Express) where he closed with a 9-under par 63 to get into a three-way playoff. That week, he was playing what was then the new 2013 Pro V1x and became the first player to win with that new golf ball — seems to be a trend.
- The New Pro V1 and Pro V1x will be available in golf shops around the world in early 2021.
EIGHT OF TOP 10 RELY ON TITLEIST YET AGAIN
For the second straight week, the winner topped a leaderboard that featured eight Titleist golf ball players among the Top 10 finishers.
- Following Gay (New Pro V1) and Clark (Pro V1x) on the front page were Titleist Brand Ambassadors Matt Jones (Pro V1x) and Denny McCarthy (Pro V1x), as well as Stewart Cink (Pro V1x), who were among four players who tied for 4th, three shots out of the playoff.
- Ryan Armour (New Pro V1x), David Hearn (Pro V1x) and Kramer Hickock (Pro V1) all tied for 8th, another shot back.
TITLEIST EQUIPMENT DOMINANCE
Titleist was the top equipment choice across seven major categories at the Bermuda Championship.
- The win is also the fifth for Titleist golf ball players through the first eight events on the 2020-21 PGA TOUR, five times the nearest competitor.
GOLF BALLS: TITLEIST - 102 (77%), Nearest Competitor – 12 (9%)
DRIVERS: TITLEIST - 41 (31%), Nearest Competitor – 32 (24%)
FAIRWAY METALS: TITLEIST – 50 (31%), Nearest Competitor – 50 (31%)
HYBRIDS: TITLEIST - 21 (33%), Nearest Competitor – 17 (27%)
UTILITY IRONS: TITLEIST – 30 (42%), Nearest Competitor – 17 (24%)
IRONS: TITLEIST - 43 (33%), Nearest Competitor – 26 (20%)
WEDGES: TITLEIST - 206 (55%), Nearest Competitor – 56 (15%)
ZALATORIS EARNS TEMPORARY PGA TOUR MEMBERSHIP
Titleist Brand Ambassador Will Zalatoris entered the Bermuda Championship needing just three FedExCup points or better to earn Special Temporary Membership on the PGA TOUR.
- Finishing in a tie for 16th, he added 59 FedEx Cup points to his tally and is now allowed to accept unlimited sponsor’s exemptions the rest of the season.
- Zalatoris had already recorded three top-10s in four PGA TOUR starts this fall – including a T6 at last month’s U.S. Open.
- The 24-year old is also the current Korn Ferry Tour Points Leader where he has one win and 10 top tens in his 16 starts this year.
WHAT’S IN WILL ZALATORIS’ TITLEIST BAG?:
Pro V1 golf ball, New TSi3 (9.0°) driver, New TSi3 (16.5°) fairway metal, TS3 (19.0°) hybrid, T100 (4-PW) irons, Vokey Design SM8 gap (50°), sand (54°) and lob (58°) wedges.
PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS
Darren Clarke (Pro V1x Left Dash) captured his first career PGA TOUR Champions crown with a one-shot win at the TimberTech Championship.
- Clarke birdied the par-5 final hole to top two Titleist golf ball players, including Bernhard Langer (Pro V1) and a two-time PGA TOUR Champions winner (Pro V1x) this year.
- Clarke closed with a 4-under par 68 en route to a 17-under 199 victory total.
- Titleist topped the field in golf balls with 62 players (77%) in the field of 81, more than six times the nearest competitor with 10.
Titleist Brand Ambassador Danie Van Tonder captured his fourth title in six starts after accumulating 48 points in a wire-to-wire victory at the Investec Royal Swazi Open.
- Van Tonder closed with a final round of 10 points under the modified stableford scoring system used for this event.
- Van Tonder started the season ranked No. 297 in the Official World Golf Rankings and will be inside the top 200 following his victory this week.
- With only six events played since August, he has vaulted over 100 places competing on the Sunshine Tour.
- Neil Schietekat (Pro V1x) finished solo 2nd with 30 points, one clear of 3rd place finisher MJ Viljoen (Pro V1x, TS3 driver, TS2 fairway metal, T100 irons, Vokey Design SM8 wedges, Scotty Cameron putter) as Titleist golf ball players swept the top three positions on the leaderboard and four of the top five.
- Titleist was the top choice in golf balls with 58 players in the field of 72 (81%) trusting the Pro V1 or Pro V1x for their success, nearly five times the nearest competitor with 12.
What’s in Danie Van Tonder's Winning Titleist Bag?
Pro V1x golf ball, TS3 driver, TS2 fairway metal, 718 CB irons, Vokey Design SM8 wedges, Scotty Cameron Futura T5 MB